Coconut Curry Chicken
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1-1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup drained canned diced tomatoes or peeled, seeded, diced fresh tomatoes
1/2 cup Coconut Curry Spice Blend – adjust to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1 1/2 lbs diced boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp water (optional)
1/3 cup heavy cream
Shredded coconut (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add in onion and saute until slightly golden brown, about 4 - 6 minutes.
3. Add in garlic and ginger, saute 30 seconds
4. Add in Coconut Curry Spice Blend and saute 30 seconds.
5. Pour in chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
6. Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool. Pour mixture into a blender or food processor then cover with lid and remove lid insert, cover opening with a clean folded kitchen towel. (Caution - blending a hot mixture in a closed blender can cause pressure to build up blowing off lid. Best to allow mixture to cool a bit before pureeing.) Blend mixture until well pureed and smooth then return to skillet and heat skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Season sauce with salt, cayenne pepper, and additional Coconut Curry Spice Blend to taste.
8. Add in diced chicken.
9. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low, cover skillet with lid and simmer until chicken has cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 8 - 12 minutes.
10. During the last minute of cooking stir in the cornstarch and water if desired, to thicken sauce slightly or if needed thin with a little chicken broth.
11. Stir in cream then serve warm, topped shredded coconut over basmati rice.