Extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, roughly diced
1 green bell pepper, thinly chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3 Tbsp Harissa spice blend (more or less to taste)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup tomato sauce
6 medium tomatoes, chopped (or 1 - 28oz can diced tomatoes)
4 large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnishes: cilantro, feta cheese (optional)
Sourdough bread or pita for dipping
1. In a large cast iron skillet, heat 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Add onion, garlic, and green bell pepper and cook until onions soften and become translucent.
2. Add paprika, sugar, harissa, and tomato paste & sauce and stir to combine. Add tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for about 15 mintues. Uncover and cook until tomatoes begin to thicken and liquid is reduced.
4. Make a well in the tomato stew for each egg. Gently crack an egg into the wells making sure they are spaced apart.
5. Reduce heat to low, cover skillet and cook until egg whites are set, about 10 minutes. Add additional time for firmer yokes.
6. Garnish with crumbled feta and cilantro. Serve immediately with bread or pita.